“Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.” John 15:13
It’s my birthday! Hurray!
Funny thing, the older I get the less excited I get about having a birthday. There’s no reason to look forward to a party because I know the dirty little secret about the cleaning of the dishes that comes after. It’s unlikely a doll or party hat is going to bring me true happiness and I actually feel a little guilty about spending money on them.
My husband, he’s one who is always looking for ways to celebrate me. And that’s awesome.
He arranged for several activities to make this day special for me, but I have to admit, the best was a trip to Costco.
We bought toilet paper.
And the sun broke through the heavens, angels began to sing and bums in our family were filled with soft, cushion-ey joy.
I love Costco toilet paper!
This morning, the actual day of my birth (why am I not celebrating with my mom right now? She’s the one who did all the work, had natural labor because I came so quickly!) the ruffians woke me up with hugs and kisses, my Lizard got up with them and let me sleep in.
Then, I got up and headed to the coffee shop to spend the morning writing, working on book proposals, looking for freelance jobs, and such.
How awesome is that?
When I left the house Tres was standing up in the high chair, covered in oatmeal, Uno was crying because of something or another (she’s got such a sensitive heart) and Dos was practicing her gymnastics by catapulting into the sofa.
And Lizard said, “Go, I’ve got this!”
And he does.
So, because my husband truly understands what it’s like to lay your life down for your best friend, your wife, I’m going to take my birthday to list the things I love about that man and the rest of you readers can either stick around and possibly laugh, or roll your eyes, go, “Ewwww!” and quickly click away to AwkwardFamilyPhotos.com and say, “Ewwww!” over there.
How Do I Love My Husband? Let Me Count The Ways (and in no particular order):
1. He makes me laugh.
2. He pulls over for broken down cars and knows how to help.
3. He changes as many (maybe even more) poop-filled diapers as I.
4. He loves God more than he loves me.
5. He lets me write.
6. He tells me I’m beautiful when I’m ugly.
7. He’s a great daddy.
8. He likes guns and takes me shooting.
9. He’s smart.
10. He’s funny.
11. He thinks I’m funny.
12. He has a strange fascination with keeping soccer cleats.
13. He tells the truth.
14. He’s faithful.
15. He carries lip balm in his pocket just for me.
16. He broke the bed.
17. He knows how to build things.
18. He’s sexy.
19. He holds my hand when we’re driving down the road.
20. When the odometer hits a symmetrical number, we celebrate it together.
21. He opens the door for me.
22. He’s my biggest cheerleader.
23. He’s not threatened by an outspoken, strong female.
24. He lets a poodle he hates melt into his lap every night.
25. He understands I need to have scalding hot water for showers and set the hot water heater temperature accordingly.
26. He puts up with my parents. And loves them despite.
27. He’s very athletic and beautiful to watch in motion.
28. He can cook. And clean. Ahhh…
29. He prays with me.
30. He rough-houses with the girls.
31. He isn’t afraid to take a fishhook out of the fish.
32. He’s strong emotionally and physically.
33. He’s a dreamer and visionary.
34. He’s a leader.
35. He didn’t run when I tried to scare him away and just kept asking for that next date. And then married me.
Lizard, I love you. You’ve made my birthday awesome and I hope I keep having birthdays – because I’ll be sharing the years with you.