Today = Fail… I’m good with that.

DaleEu / Stock.xchng

When I woke up this morning I had only two things on my “to-do” list: 1. get the clean laundry folded and put away, and 2. make sure the girls had a solid school time.


Here’s how the day unfolded:


5:30 a.m. Tres woke up needing to go to the bathroom. Went, then ended up curled in my armpit with her legs propped up on my pregnant belly, sleeping.

5:45 a.m. The man of the house got up and out, headed to a meeting then work.

7:45 a.m. Uno and Dos woke up and went to work. They made their beds and cleaned their room. I’m pretty sure they’ve been traded for angels. I tell them to eat as many doughnuts as they want from the kitchen counter.

8:10 a.m. I slide out from under Tres’ legs and make a pot of coffee.

8:20 a.m. Help a tenant with their storage unit door. Call my husband back from work for reinforcement.

8:40 a.m. Lizard heads back to work after kissing Tres awake. (Does this day get any better?! The kiddo slept until almost 9 a.m.!)

9 a.m. Consider loading the dishwasher. Put a load of laundry in.

9:05 a.m. Start playing Disney Children’s Radio. Dance party commences in the living room with three girls. I get to sit on the sofa and act as the  soloist for Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid and Enchanted theme songs. We laugh. A lot.

11:15 a.m. Wonder why Tres is begging for milk. Realize the dance party has been happening for two hours. Wonder how this has happened.

11:45 a.m. Grilled cheese sandwiches and watermelon for lunch. The girls eat almost everything. They go to bed. Really, they all nap at the same time. Unbelievable!

12:15 p.m. I look at the laundry pile on the sofa and feel guilty for not completing it. I look at the other sofa. It is whispering something. I lean my head down to catch the whisper… and wake up two hours later.

2:30 p.m. Uno stumbles out of the bedroom and gives me the best snuggle ever. The other girls come out one at a time. We discuss baby animals and their various names (did you know a family of mice is called a mischief?)

4:00 p.m. I send everyone outside to play. It’s warm enough to break out the water table. I quickly have three soggy kids enjoying great weather and each other’s company.

5:30 p.m. Lizard comes home. We trade kiddo duty and I go to the store to buy bread. I was supposed to buy vegetable oil, too, but forgot. Blame the pregnancy.

6:15 p.m. Everyone’s bathed, dinner’s on the table. We laugh during dinner.

7:45 p.m. The girls are in bed. I start searching for blog post inspiration for tonight. Writer’s block is crippling.

9:15 p.m. Decide to just tell you about my normal day. It’s a boring day, nothing checked off the list. (Except I did load the dishwasher. Scared of rotting food, dontchaknow.)


I could look at today as a failure because I didn’t even get to my “to-do” list — the two main things on my list are only a couple of about 20 things on any given day!


Or I can choose to be blessed, knowing it was a day I was physically tired from the pregnancy, the kids were full of laughter, and there was peace.


I’m grateful for a failed day!


Hope your days are filled with “failures” as well!

Facebook Comments

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: